In this episode of The Bridge Project Exclusives called as Artificial Intelligence (AI) Primer, we aim to understand what is artificial intelligence and how it could possibly influence national security. We discuss the broader trends in AI around the world and attempt to situate the national security needs of India in light of Artificial Intelligence.
We also address questions like what kind of AI does India want? What are the R&D capabilities that India possess? Are the Indian Armed Forces equipped to assimilate AI as an emerging technology.
We are joined by an interesting set of speakers - Dr Jaganath Sankaran and Maj Gen P K Chakravorty.
Dr. Sankaran is Assistant Professor at Lyndon B Johnson School of Public Policy at University of Texas Austin. He spent the first four years of his career as a defense scientist with the Indian Missile R&D establishment. He has held fellowships at the Los Alamos National Laboratory, the Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, Harvard University and at RAND Corporation.
Maj Gen (Dr) P.K. Chakravorty is currently a Senior Fellow (veteran) at CLAWS. Post-retirement the officer was appointed as an Advisor to Brahmos Aerospace Private Limited which is a Joint Venture between India and Russia. He is currently a Defence Analyst. He has written books, articles and projects for IDSA, USI, CLAWS, VIF and numerous periodicals.
1. Horowitz, M.C., 2018. Artificial intelligence, international competition, and the balance of power (May 2018). Texas national security review.
2. Bostrom, N., 2016. Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies, Oxford University Press.
3. NITI Aayog, 2018, National Strategy for Artificial Intelligence #AIForAll
4. Chakravorty, P K, 2017, Artificial Intelligence and Its Impact on the Indian Armed Forces, Indian Defence Review.
5. Sankaran, J., 2019, A Different Use of Artificial Intelligence in Nuclear Weapons Command and Control, War on The Rocks
6. Sahu, A. 2019., Artificial Intelligence in Military Operations: Where Does India Stand?, Observer Research Foundation
The Bridge Project (2020), "Artificial Intelligence (AI) Primer: Implications on National Security", Exclusives (3.1), 19 July 2020, URL:
Ambuj Sahu (Moderator), Krupa Susan Varghese and Madhulika Baniwal (Research Assistants)
Inspired by Kevin MacLeod